29 March 2009

Drum carder


Ta da! After much deliberating, I went for a second-hand Louet from an Ebay seller in Holland. I'm chuffed with it, not least because I think even I should have a hard time breaking this thing.

I'm still in the early stages of working out what the hell one does with it, but I can see the bulk of my fibre stash being batted in no time.

After spinning lots of commercially combed top, spinning from batts is taking a bit of retraining, but it's starting to feel OK. I'm booked into the 'using a drum carder' class at Woolfest, which should be fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

purple is SOOOO pretty!!!

6:42 p.m.  
Blogger Dulcinea said...

Purple is black baby alpaca, purple silk and a wee bit of purple merino. Definitely my most successful mixture so far!

7:25 p.m.  
Blogger Bionic Laura said...

Wow loving those batts. I can't wait to see what they turn into.

I've never spun a batt yet but must buy a nice one to spin up soon.

10:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home