08 February 2009

A lost cause

I have a terrifyingly huge amount of work to do this week. Today was a chance to make a tiny dent in it, but cashmere intervened. I finished a scarf in my handspun cashmere the other day. I now recognise that this gave me a window in which to Step Away From the Knitting. I did not. I cast on a fingerless glove in the remaining yarn. I was on a Stitch n Bitch trip to the Grand Opera House to see the ballet Sleeping Beauty, and it felt wrong - wrong, I tells ye! - to let the event pass without knitting anything. With reckless disregard for swatching, I cast on what looked like enough stitches to get round my knuckles and started 3 by 3 rib. Today I found that it fit, which unheard-of miracle meant that I owed the glove gods a gusset and thumb. Which meant I would be able to relax and get on with my life if only I finished the decreases across the palm and got down to the simple cuff. I've now done that, with zero frogging, and it all fits. Trying it on to make sure it fits, though, makes the completion of the cuff and the repetition of the whole process EXTREMELY URGENT. The feeling of hands surrounded in this stuff makes my dream of the cashmere body stocking seem like something Obama should be funding massive research into, never mind climate change, global skintness and multiple wars. Fibrous stimulus. Mmmm.

I'm now alternately hyperventilating about the ridiculous number of difficult things I need to make myself do, and petting my own right hand, which immediately conquers both stress and willpower. No good will come of this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

No good will come of it at all.... but it is seriously scrummy and lovely and I wants it, lol

7:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home